Meeting of Defense Ministers of European Union
On Monday 13th, took place a ceremony of signing the notification of accession to the PESCO (the Permanent Structured Cooperation), as a new dimension of cooperation in the field of the Common Security and Defense Policy of the European Union. On behalf of Poland, the document was signed by ministers: Antoni Macierewicz and Witold Waszczykowski.
The letter was attached to the notification and addressed to representatives of all Member States and the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, in which Polish party announced that will participate in PESCO, only under the following conditions:
- PESCO activities will be implemented on an equal principles with respect to all challenges, including defense of the Eastern Flank;
- The development of national defense industries will be supported to ensure their competitiveness, innovation and sustainability;
- Within the PESCO, will not be created any parallel structures, competitive to NATO. Furthermore, all undertaken initiatives will be complement to the capabilities of the Alliance.
- Before joining the PESCO, Poland was determined by the specific decisions, which should be implemented by the PESCO. It was stated in the letter, which was sent Mrs. Federica Mogherini, as well as all Members of the EU, who signed the notification of Poland's entry into the PESCO - said Minister of National Defense. Signing by Poland notification of accession to the PESCO became dependent on fulfilling three conditions. One of them was engagement on the Eastern Flank of NATO.
As Minister Macierewicz emphasized, the defense industry is extremely important for Polish side. - PESCO cannot serve the pursuit of monopolization by one side's defense capabilities. In the letter, as stressed Head of MOD, one more issue is underlined: do not create a military and defense structure parallel to the NATO structure.
On Monday, Poland and 22 other EU countries have notified accession to Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO) in the field of defense, within the EU. These countries have adopted concrete commitments to strengthen their defense capabilities.
- This is undoubtedly a historic moment for European defense. 23 Member States that involving their capabilities and taking operational steps, is something great - said the Head of EU diplomacy Federica Mogherini.
On Monday, 13th November Minister of National Defense Antoni Macierewicz took part in a meeting of defense ministers of the European Union held in Brussels. During the meeting the Heads of Defense discussed, among others, cooperation within the V4. There was also a session during which discussed issues related the current cooperation between the EU and NATO and considered suggestions for further strengthening.